> On Nov 4, 2015, at 6:19 PM, Nikos Andronikos
> <nikos.androni...@cisra.canon.com.au> wrote:
>
> The current plan, after chatting to Dean at TPAC, will be to implement the
> web animations model as a new module, with a runtime flag for switching CSS
> and SVG animations over to use the new model.

We should have a goal to have the CSS and SVG animations the same or higher
performance when rebuilt on top of the new model. I suppose I’m mainly talking
about the performance of setting up the animations, but CPU use and frame rate
of the animation itself is interesting too. I think a good way to start would
be to make our own WebKit benchmark for each of those that we can use to see
performance changes during development and also validate our decision at the
moment we flip the switch to the new model.

I don’t understand why the “switch CSS and SVG animations to the new model”
would be a runtime flag. That sounds like something that should be a compile
time thing to me.

> I’m also planning to change the SVG DOM so that animVal aliases baseVal per
> the SVG WG resolution [2] and the SVG 2 spec [3]. This should substantially
> clean up the SVG implementation and make future work easier.

That should allow us to remove a lot of code. And it does seem like the right
call for the future of SVG. But what about compatibility? Has anyone done
research on the effect this would have on websites? What about in-app content
on platforms like iOS?

— Darin