On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 5:45 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rn...@webkit.org> wrote:
>> I think the main problem with not running a server is that behavior
>> for file URLs is not defined. And browsers tend to impose different
>> restrictions there. So you might end up debugging something only to
>> later found out it didn't work due to file URL restrictions. And you
>> can't guarantee that something will work from a file URL, because
>> there's no agreement on what will.
>
> That's not an issue with most ref or testharness.js tests which tests
> WebIDL, CSS OM, etc... because none of them have to do network
> requests.

Regardless of the feature, there's no defined agreement on how it
should work when loaded from a file URL. A test author cannot divide
"this can load from a file URL" from "this needs to be loaded over
HTTP(S)". Except that loading over HTTP(S) always ought to work as
that much we've written down in standards.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/