On Mon, Feb 12, 2018, at 6:26 PM, Brian Burg wrote:
> [...]
>> WebDriver implementation under Source/WebDriver/ in WebKit. WPE will be
>> doing the same. Safari I suppose could use its own WebDriver implementation,
>> or perhaps even a separate product.
>
> Whether it makes sense depends who is running the tests. If it's for public
> WPT CI, then it won't have access to trunk safaridriver bits, so it won't be
> very useful to detect new passes or failures. If it's me or another Apple
> engineer using it to find conformance problems, then it can run against trunk
> safaridriver and be quite useful. It might also be useful to run Safari
> Technology Preview safaridriver in public CI like wpt.fyi just to have an
> independent pass/fail metric that is a lot more current (every ~2 weeks) than
> /usr/bin/safaridriver (only updates when system Safari is updated).
>
> Currently, safaridriver implements Selenium protocol, so this will be usable
> for running WPT tests in general (modulo bugs). However, the WebDriver tests
> in web-platform-tests repository only target W3C protocol and use a custom
> client library (not Selenium). I'm currently implementing W3C protocol; when
> it's ready for public testing via Safari Technology Preview, then I will make
> sure it's possible to target a 'safari' browser via wptrunner for WebDriver
> web-platform-tests. Until then it doesn't make much sense to add it upstream
> as a target for WebDriver tests.
>
>> Here's the current set of changes:
>> https://github.com/zdobersek/web-platform-tests/commit/c2ee920876ca6df7c4739feb8a6e03c77dffdb7f
>>

>> The web-platform-tests suite can then be run like this for the GTK port,
>> assuming a tip-of-trunk build:
>>
>> $ /work/web-platform-tests/wpt run --webkit-port=gtk \
>>     --webdriver-binary=WebKitBuild/Release/bin/WebKitWebDriver \
>>     --binary=WebKitBuild/Release/bin/MiniBrowser \
>>     --binary-arg=--automation \
>>     --binary-arg=--javascript-can-open-windows-automatically=true \
>>     --binary-arg=--enable-xss-auditor=false \
>>     webkit /2dcontext
>>
>> This can be further wrapped into a python script and run as part of the
>> continuous integration system. These changes add a run-web-platform-tests
>> script that invokes the web-platform-tests runner tool, also allowing each
>> port to specify what tests to enable and what the expected failures are:
>> https://github.com/Igalia/webkit/commit/df1aeeb9476c6dd220067f4fc3c6ad69a8f948ba
>>
>> Only a small subset of tests is enabled there, for prototype purposes. The
>> expected results system could also be improved to avoid each expected
>> failure having to be marked as such in separate .ini files.
>
> Carlos has a JSON-based expectations system for WPT WebDriver tests. Should
> we use that? I'm not sure if it is flexible enough to capture multiple port
> expectations. We'd probably want expectations to vary depending on enabled
> features somehow. Also, I'm not sure if we want to combine multiple port
> expectations, as this is a maintenance nightmare in the current layout test

I think it's likely that cross-port differences will persist, either in
implementation detail or merely in what features each port enables and wants to
have tested for conformance. For that purpose, I'd prefer to keep using
port-specific test manifest and expectation files, allowing each port to
specify what tests to run, and what the expected outcome is.

Maintaining all the .ini files doesn't make sense -- I'd rather replicate the
JSON approach, specifying expected subtest failures in a test, but then have
the Python script generate the metadata source tree under the build directory,
and point wptrunner towards that.

>> But foremost, I'd like to have a consensus of sorts about how various WebKit
>> ports should be handled in the web-platform-tests repository, so that the
>> changes there can proceed -- whether it's fine to implement a generic WebKit
>> product, or whether Safari would like to be treated as a separate
>> browser[1], etc.
>
> For WebDriver testing purposes, I would prefer that there be a generic WebKit
> driver (uses Source/WebDriver/ and MiniBrowser) and a Safari driver (uses
> safaridriver and Safari). They are two separate REST API implementations with
> different bugs and capabilities.
>
> It might be worth the effort to make Source/WebDriver work with
> MiniBrowser.app on Mac just for the purpose of having the entire system under
> test be compiled from one repository. However, this is generally not
> reflective of how safaridriver will perform since only the WebKit parts of
> WebDriver are shared between safaridriver and webkit[gtk]driver. It would
> just make it easier to run web-platform-tests against WebKit itself on Mac.
>
> I don't have an opinion about how to handle webkit vs safari for the rest of
> web-platform-tests. Again, we need to think about who will be running it that
> way (engineers? CI?).

I think it would be useful for CI too, though not immediately and maybe not at
the same priority as layout tests. I don't think it should run on EWS machines,
but it would be useful to separately track progress or any regressions, and
have that output accessible publicly on build.webkit.org (but in unofficial
capacity compared to e.g. wpt.fyi).