On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 3:49 Yusuke Suzuki <yusukesuz...@slowstart.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 3:27 Filip Pizlo <fpi...@apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 28, 2018, at 11:25 AM, Yusuke Suzuki <yusukesuz...@slowstart.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 3:22 Filip Pizlo <fpi...@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I don’t like this proposal.
>>>
>>> If we are running low on memory, we should switch to bounds checked
>>> memory.
>>>

>> How about using bound checking mode exclusively for low environment?
>>

>> That would mean that, paradoxically, having a machine with a lot of
>> memory means being able to spawn fewer wasm instances.
>>
>> We want to support lightweight wasm instances because it wouldn’t be good
>> to rule that out as a use case.
>>

> Hmmm, can we compile the BBQ phase / initial wasm code without knowing the
> attached memory’s mode? The current strategy basically defers compilation
> of wasm module until the memory mode is found.
> Because of this, WebAssembly.compile is not so meaningful in our
> implementation right now...
> And wasm ES6 module can import memory externally. This means that we
> cannot start wasm compilation after the memory mode of the impprted memory
> (described in the imported modulr) is downloaded, analyzed and found.

How about always compiling BBQ code with bound checking mode?
It should work with signaling memory with small / no tweaks. And OMG code
will be compiled based on the memory mode attached to the module.
Since BBQ -> OMG function call should be linked, we need to call
appropriate func for the running memory mode, but it would not introduce
significant complexity.