On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 4:07 PM Geoffrey Sneddon <m...@gsnedders.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 4:23 AM Emilio Cobos Álvarez <emi...@crisal.io> wrote:
> >
> > On 10/12/18 3:59 AM, Geoffrey Garen wrote:
> > > Honest question: What’s gross about using @font-face?
> > >
> > > It would be lots of test edits. That’s a bummer.
> > >
> > > But maybe it’s clearer for the tests to specify the font they want to
> > > use. It makes the test self-describing, eliminating the requirement that
> > > the user take a step outside the test to get the right result.
>
> See https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt/issues/9105 about this.
>
> > Note that there's also the opposite opinion of loading a web font
> > potentially hiding bugs:
> >
> >    https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2017Jan/0053.html
> >
> > Though I don't have such a strong opinion myself, I think @font-face is
> > a fine solution for that problem (and other people seemed to be ok with
> > that as well, looking at how that thread continues...).
>
> I don't have a strong opinion here, but: a) it certainly seems
> annoying to flush layout and avoid triggering any layout invalidation
> bugs; b) we have plenty of other (manual ) tests for the font
> matching algorithm (and parts of that obviously do need to use system
> installed fonts).

I don't think we should change a bunch of tests, it's useful to be
able to depend on *some* system font existing across the board, and
Ahem is it. We already need root access in our CI systems because of
/etc/hosts, so just putting Ahem in /Library/Fonts as part of the
setup is fine.

> As an aside: when did user installed fonts stop being allowed by
> default? r226172 states nothing is using the SPI yet (though did it
> already default to No? in which case it has been disallowed by default
> since r225641). wpt.fyi seems to have Ahem being installed okay for
> STP but not stable, based on infrastructure/assumptions/ahem.html, and
> all that does it copy the font to ~/Library/Fonts, which confuses me!

I'd also like to know when this change happened, because in
https://github.com/foolip/wpt/pull/5 I had to work around it for Azure
Pipelines, which has macOS 10.13.6, while all the other CI systems I
tried worked with the code as-is. They are all running the same
version of STP. (This PR is still just me experimenting, but the goal
is to get Safari coverage for PRs pretty soon.)