> On Oct 31, 2018, at 7:52 AM, Konstantin Tokarev <annu...@yandex.ru> wrote:
>
> 31.10.2018, 05:18, "Fujii Hironori" <fujii.hiron...@gmail.com
> <mailto:fujii.hiron...@gmail.com>>:
>> wtf/unicode/UTF8.h is conflicting with ICU header in MSVC builds. I'd like
>> to rename wtf/unicode/UTF8.h to wtf/unicode/WTFUTF8.h.
>> Any suggestion?
>
> What about Unicode.h or UnicodeHelpers.h? UTF8.h deals with UTF16 as well

While I don’t love other of those names, I do like the idea of avoiding awkward
“WTF” in the filename.

I don’t think it’s right to say “deals with UTF16”; this header contains only
functions about dealing with UTF-8 and converting UTF-8 to and from other
encodings (and yet those other encoding include UTF-16).

With a few seconds thought I am thinking that maybe UTF8Conversion.h or
UTF8Transcoding.h are possible better ideas for new names. Neither is
completely accurate. If we were going to add the word “helpers” than I would
say UTF8Helpers.h, but I really don’t like those kinds of word in header names
(“utilities”, “helpers”, “functions”, “classes”).

A separate issue once we rename: the header is also pretty old and crufty.
Eventually we might want to remove or refine the functions in here. Not sure
how widely they are used.

— Darin