On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 5:06 PM Mason Freed via webkit-dev <
webkit-dev@lists.webkit.org> wrote:

> > On Fri Feb 19 20:36:12 PST 2021 Ryosuke Niwa via webkit-dev <
> > webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org> wrote:
> >
> > I replied in the issues directly so that people outside of the WebKit
> > community can follow the discussion.
>
> Thanks! I've replied there also.

The issue with the semantics of getInnerHTML is problematic enough that
we'd object to this feature as long as that's included in its current shape.

> How does one specify a declarative shadow root to use a specific custom
> > element registry?
>
> Well, I do see this as something that is better designed as part of the
> scoped custom element registry proposal. But the basic idea would be to
> just to add an attribute that allows the declarative shadow root to opt
> out of automatically using the global registry:
>
> <template shadowroot=open scoped-registry>
>
> and that would keep any custom elements contained within the shadow root
> from automatically upgrading based on the global registry. Maybe by just
> assigning an empty custom registry to that shadow root. We'll need to add
> an attribute to ShadowRoot, as part of the SCER proposal, to allow custom
> elements to then set the appropriate custom registry later.

That seems to indicate that none of the custom elements inside a
declarative shadow root can be upgraded until all its ancestor custom
elements which use a custom element registry have been upgraded. This would
make the declarative shadow DOM's perf benefit less attractive IMO.

- R. Niwa