Hello WebKit devs,

We'd like to get WebKit's position on the Compute Pressure API.

We propose a new API that conveys the utilization of CPU resources on the
user's device. This API targets applications that can trade off CPU
resources for an improved user experience. For example, many applications
can render video effects with varying degrees of sophistication. These
applications aim to provide the best user experience, while avoiding
driving the user's device in a high CPU utilization regime.

High CPU utilization is undesirable because it strongly degrades the user
experience. Many smartphones, tablets and laptops become uncomfortably hot
to the touch. The fans in laptops and desktops become so loud that they
disrupt conversations or the users’ ability to focus. In many cases, a
device under high CPU utilization appears to be unresponsive, as the
operating system may fail to schedule the threads advancing the task that
the user is waiting for.

Thanks!

   - Specification Title: Compute Pressure API
   - Specification URL: https://oyiptong.github.io/compute-pressure/
   - Explainger:
   https://github.com/oyiptong/compute-pressure/blob/main/README.md
   - ChromeStatus.com entry: