Hi Josh!

Thanks for reaching out. Hope to see you in person at some standards meeting
soon! Please see our feedback on your proposal below.

   Regards, John

> On Mar 17, 2022, at 9:04 AM, Josh Karlin via webkit-dev
> <webkit-dev@lists.webkit.org> wrote:
>
> Hi WebKit-Dev,
>
> We've been working on the Topics API that allows for interest-based
> advertising in a browser ecosystem in which storage is partitioned by
> top-frame site. This API replaces our first proposal in this area, FLoC. We
> would like to hear what you think about it. Note that Chrome is implementing
> (with spec following shortly after) but we're quite open to evolving the API
> over time and are appreciative of your feedback.
>
> explainer: https://github.com/jkarlin/topics
> <https://github.com/jkarlin/topics>
> chromestatus: https://chromestatus.com/feature/5680923054964736
> <https://chromestatus.com/feature/5680923054964736>
> spec: TBD

The Topics API explainer is in a personal repository which gives us pause on
commenting since it’s unclear what the proposal’s official status is.

Our analysis of the proposal assumes full per-site partitioning and no high
entropy device fingerprinting such as IP address available cross-site. It’s
important that any pre-existing privacy deficiencies on the web not be used as
excuses for privacy deficiencies in new specs and proposals.

Apple does not think Topics API is a good addition to the web platform. Here’s
why:
Cross-site data. We don’t think cross-site data about the user’s browsing
should be exposed in APIs. We’ve been working for ten years in the opposite
direction, partitioning data per-site.
Cross-site sharing default. We don’t think cross-site data sharing should be on
by default as a web platform feature. Users must have agency over expressing
their personal interests to websites and third parties. A browser exposing this
data by default is not acting as a user agent. Further, using the user’s
browsing history as the basis of determining interests undermines users’ trust
in the browser as their agent.
Cross-site targeting by default. We don’t think cross-site targeting of ads
should be on by default as a web platform feature. Put another way, we don’t
think cross-site targeting of ads should be the default experience on the web.
Safe to roam. The web should be safe to roam and the user agent should be
working in that direction. By default exposing cross-site data to facilitate
personalized ad targeting would make the web less safe to roam. Users would
have to always think twice about which sites they visit and how that can be
used to manipulate or target them.
Enrichment of user profiles. Websites which already know a lot about a user can
learn more through cross-site data APIs like Topics API. Prime examples of such
sites are the user’s search engine or social networking sites. Worse, topics
connected to the user’s browsing will evolve over time, allowing continuous
enrichment of the user profile as an ongoing privacy exposure. An example: The
user was interested in honeymoons, then baby clothing, then lawyers.
Sensitive topics. What’s sensitive information differs between for instance
cultures, religions, ages, communities, and individuals. It is therefore not
just hard but also foolish to think that browser vendors can come up with a
safe set of personalized topics to expose to ad networks.
Topic bias. We understand that the current set of topics is not the one
intended to be used in production. However, the set shows a concerning affluent
western lifestyle bias and we worry that the eventual standardized taxonomy
will contain such biases too. A prime example in the current taxonomy is “World
Music” as a term for all non-Western music.
Hidden patterns. We believe that technologies like machine learning will be
able to glean personal data and patterns out of something like Topics API that
go far beyond whatever “safe” set of topics that browser vendors define.
Advantages established players. The Topics API will only provide cross-site
topic data to callers who called the API in the past for this particular user
and on a site about that topic. This benefits entities that have scripts or
frames embedded on many sites, e.g. already prevalent ad trackers, or owners of
embeds with an ostensibly non-ad-related purpose such as social or video. And
it perpetuates the incentive for more embedding solely for the purpose of
cross-site data usage and not for any clear user benefit, thus needlessly
hurting performance and battery life.
Who will classify sites? The open questions at the end of the explainer suggest
that a taxonomy should be produced, and that it should become an industry
standard. A sample taxonomy is available. But a taxonomy (at least as
presented) is just a list of categories. Who decides which sites or pages are
in which category? Is this a globally maintained list? Would it be a
Google-provided service that requires Google’s permission to access? Would each
browser do it separately (and perhaps differently?) Would sites self-label?
Perhaps the intent is that the industry standard taxonomy would bucket sites or
pages in the categories, but if so that’s not clear from the explainer, and if
not, it seems like a major problem left unaddressed.