If you're using Wonder's wotaskd (or care to replace the following script)
you can turn on logging for instance startup in:

/Library/WebObjects/JavaApplications/wotaskd.woa/Contents/Resources/SpawnOfWotaskd.sh

#!/bin/sh

# To enable logging of instance startup run the command 'touch
/tmp/logWebObjects'

# Log messages will be written to:
LOG=/Library/WebObjects/Logs/SpawnOfWotaskd.log

if [ -f /tmp/logWebObjects ]; then

        echo "date: `date`" >>${LOG}
        echo "args: $@" >>${LOG}
        $@ 1>>${LOG} 2>&1 &