On Jan 13, 2006, at 6:33 AM, Ken Anderson wrote:
From what you've said, I would probably cache the user's current portfolio in the session and use in-memory filtering to generate results. If you're using any kind of cross instance notification mechanism, you could always hook that up to the project cache. I'm making the assumption that these objects aren't too big - if they're more than a few hundred bytes, I might reconsider that position.
EOF will cache snapshots as long as the objects associated with them are in an editing context, so caching the objects themselves shouldn't take much more memory. My view has been that if these snapshots are fresh enough, I might as well cache the objects associated with these snapshots myself rather than refetching them. By default, refetched objects will be discarded anyway, so why take the time to refetch them? Of course, if you want to refresh the snapshots and have taken measures to ensure that the fetched objects refresh the snapshots, that's a good reason to refetch.
Filtering objects in memory does take time, but I assume that it's quicker than the fetch overhead. I've never measured the performance of NSSet operations, but I use them to eliminate duplicate objects, for example. This has been "fast enough" in my situation.
Aloha, Art _______________________________________________ Do not post admin requests to the list. They will be ignored. Webobjects-dev mailing list ([email protected]) Help/Unsubscribe/Update your Subscription: http://lists.apple.com/mailman/options/webobjects-dev/archive%40mail-archive.com This email sent to [email protected]
