On 23/08/2006, at 6:20 AM, Chuck Hill wrote:

On Aug 22, 2006, at 8:01 AM, Michael Warner wrote:

I found this post to be one of the most spot on. Senior WO developers have stepped up on the list, post WWDC 2006. That is both praiseworthy and reassuring. Yet the fact remains that apart from the important issues of lack of marketing and of built-in, up-to-date user- interface and other convenience tools, the difficulty of learning adequate and best-practice ways of manipulating existing code, for the beginning or journeyman WO developer, remains a paramount
consideration.

If I may wax old-school for a moment -- actual, physical books can make a huge difference in this situation.

I will argue (from some experience) that the situation makes a big difference in publishers wanting to publish books. Books on WO and Wonder are not going to make them popular. WO and Wonder being popular will drive the demand for books which will then get written. Publishers don't like to invest money in books if they don't have a reasonable expectation of selling them.

If the objective is not simply to have books on shelves, but rather to provide a source of published quality material that the WO community at large can purchase hard copies off, an alternative would be to develop the said publication(s), either privately or as a community and use a Print-On-Demand service like Lulu.com instead of a traditional publisher.

The decision then just lies with the author(s) as to whether they believe there will be enough demand for such material to sufficiently remunerate them for their efforts.

--
Seeya...Q

                          _____  /  Quinton Dolan - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     /    __  /   _/    /      /        Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
  __/  __/ __/ ____/   /   -  /            Ph: +61 419 729 806
                            _\