Hi Drew,

On Sep 25, 2006, at 7:56 PM, Drew Thoeni wrote:
On Sep 25, 2006, at 5:21 PM, Chuck Hill wrote:
On Sep 24, 2006, at 8:18 AM, Drew Thoeni wrote:

I'm using Frontbase's full text index to successfully return rows. The main goal is to allow users to search large-full text columns, returning enterprise objects. I have broken this into three specific requirements as I can't seem to fulfill more than two, regardless of approach.

1) Search for strings in a large text column using Frontbase's full text index (requires SQL such as "...where SATISFIES (full_text_index, search_string)...". 2) Allow user input and pass this as a parameter to the fileSpec for a query. 3) Create or return EOs so as to have relationship information so as to provide key value coding to related tables.

It seems I'm missing something as I can only meet two of the three above at a time. Here are the options performed so far:

A) Using rawRowsForSQL I can do 1 and 2 above. I have converted the results into enterprise objects but do not know how to perform an addObjectToBothSidesOfRelationshipWithKey which would allow access to related objects (such as code tables).

I am not following what your problem here is. If you have an eo as converted from (1) and (2) why can you not do eo.addObjectToBothSidesOfRelationshipWithKey(tag, "tag")?

Yep. A fair point and there's a good chance I'm looking at this cockeyed. A more detailed explanation: I'm pulling back Report rows using rawSQL. Once I get the rows back, I'm iterating through, creating Report objects and setting their values based on data retrieved in the SQL query.

OK, that sounds really wrong.

I then add these all to an array and can display them nicely in a WORep

I am not pulling back object IDs (primary and foreign keys) in the SQL query because the OIDs are not part of the EOModel;

Surely the OIDs are part of the EOModel. I will assume that you mean they are not class properties of the entities, but that they are defined in the EOModel. Otherwise, I can't see how EOF could work.

So, as they are part of the EOModel, you _can_ pull back the values using your rawRowsForSQL. So what you want to do is to pull back the OID, and then use EOUtilities.objectFromRawRow to convert raw rows into EOs. Note that any data you pull back with the rawRowsForSQL will _not_ be used by objectFromRawRow. So, unless you need to display some of that information before converting raw rows into EOs, you can make it more efficient by just selecting the OID. What is usually done is to select some of the data and the OID and display the partial data. Once the user indicates which rows will be used in a process, turn those rows into EOs.

One potential issue with this is that objectFromRawRow works on one EO at a time, so for large numbers of EOs, that is a lot of trips to the database. IIRC, you can construct a manual array fault and have EOF fetch them all in at once, though I don't recall the methods at the moment. Let me know if you need this.

Chuck

I can't set their values. So, given my knowledge (admittedly limited), I don't have foreign keys in Report with which I could addObjectToBothSidesOfRelationshipWithKey.

If I had these as complete objects I'd do as you suggest aReport.addObjectToBothSidesOfRelationshipWithKey( aCompetitor, "toCompetitor") and that would work great.

I'm sure there's some way of accomplishing this that I have not considered. I've checked this list, Frontbase's list, and Practical WebObjects. Perhaps I'm looking for the wrong things.

B) Using objectsWithFetchSpecificationAndBindings I can do 2 and 3 above. But EOModeler does not allow the "SATISFIES" term, even when typing it into the fetchSepc in "Use Raw SQL Expression."

You would need to extend EOF to do that. Pierre Bernard's qualifiers would be the place to start for this.

C) Using a stored procedure I can do 1 and 3 above. However, I do not see a way of passing a user-defined search into the store procedure from WebObjects.

No ideas on that.

Perhaps there is a much better and non-database specific way to quickly search large text fields with features such a stemming, wildcards, etc.

For a non-database specific way, see http://lucene.apache.org/ The basic idea is much like handling the rawsRowsFromSQL result: you index the text and store the entity name and PK with the text. Do a Lucene search, and convert the entity name and PK back into an EO. It takes a while to wrap your head around it.

Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems. http://www.global-village.net/products/ practical_webobjects