On 30/10/2007, at 12:27 PM, Lachlan Deck wrote:

Hi there,

On 30/10/2007, at 11:34 AM, Ken Foust wrote:

To this Great Community:

For seasoned developers the passing of WO is not a big deal.

Passing? 5.4 just came out.

However for novice and part timers it is like a tragedy. There doesn't see to be a solution out there that was so complete. You could just buy Joshua Marker's book, build something and even make it functional. You didn't need to be a guru to make something run on the web with a database. If you ever built a successful project then the guru's would come and you would be off and running. It is like Apple is more interested in gadgets and not really business. But looking at their stock who could argue.

Okay, I see you're talking about the passing of the tools :). Or is that :-(. Depends on your perspective I guess.

I think, what Ken is talking about, and probably has a very legitimate case about is the passing of ease of development. Perhaps WO passed when the "learning curve" became the "learning cliff". Wonder is great for what it does - that is if you can work out how to get it to do what it does. Eclipse – well still a lot of us are not enamoured with Eclipse, especially the 3.3 debacle, which Mike valiantly struggled against. (OK, I guess I can stick to Xcode, FWIW, since we are now doing a Cocoa project.)

I think I disagree with Ken's point "It is like Apple is more interested in gadgets and not really business." Well, it's not just Apple, but the whole world, although we needed things like CSS, Ajax, etc. No Apple is just responding to a demand there. Of course he could be talking about iPod and iPhone, but I think these are the future of information harvesting, and probably if Apple hadn't done decent products here, the Mac market would be going backwards instead of forwards in leaps and bounds. Teenagers of 10 years ago thought Apple sucked and was their parents technology – now teenagers think Apple is cool and the teenagers of 10 years ago are today's oldies. Hopefully, WO will be driving this new world in a few years time – if it can become a simple integrated development platform once more.

Well, it is what it is. Can't be helped now.

I think it can be helped and WWDC 07 was great to see so much going on in the WO world both inside and out of Apple.

But there's still a lot of help available... I'd say even more than before. If you need a visual editor, then there are numerous gui html editors out there that could serve you well. Granted, they'll not be an integrated solution.

It is interesting that the majority of the world overlooked this incredible product but then again they overlooked NeXTStep!

Yeah, and they overlooked Burroughs as well (except Alan Kay groked it, so some stuff was saved!)

This is a great community and I want to thank all of you for always taking the time to answer all the questions no matter how trivial.

Ian