On Oct 29, 2007, at 4:33 PM, Michael Halliday wrote:

It does appear that MySQL has come along way.  We're actually looking
at migrating to MySQL from our current OpenBase install for
performance issues.  Don't really hear much about OpenBase and WO
these days ... does anyone still use it in production environments?

I use it for a WO app that I wrote for my sister's business looong time ago. She uses it on a daily basis and has been accumulating valuable data for years. I wouldn't qualify the app as one of those high traffic sites since it's only used by one person every day. But I know OpenBase is a very serious database for production use. And so easy to set up if you and great WO support if you ask me.

Both my web app and OpenBase 10.0.8 are running on a little Mac mini. Works great. I've used it since the early versions of OpenBase. It saves me a daily backup of the database on an external disk, which by the way saved me big time when the hard disk on the Mac mini died. And the backup was as simple as specifying where I wanted the backup to be, what time to make the backup and click OK in the OpenBase Manager.

It has tools for synchronizing eomodels with your database schema. But I have not used that since I wrote the app long ago. It also has some EOQualifier classes for doing IN queries but I've never used any of that either. Anyways, in my opinion OpenBase works great. And if your app ever grows and you need a more serious license and want support then you can buy the license that suits your needs. And I think OpenBase support has always been excellent.

:-)