Hi Tim,

Have you looked at ERAttachment? It has been designed to do exactly what you are attempting and optionally ties into the AjaxFileUpload component.

"The framework provide a single unified set of components and models that can allow the storage of attachments on your local filesystem, served through your webserver; on your local filesystem served through a custom request handler; in your database, served through a custom request handler; and on Amazon's S3 service, served directly from S3. The intent of the framework is to make it very simple to control how the attachments are stored and served by simple adjusting some configuration properties."

It also has attachment viewer components. Save yourself some time, use ERAttachment.

http://webobjects.mdimension.com/hudson/job/Wonder53/javadoc/er/ attachment/package-summary.html

David