I've tried in all of the following places (one at a time) with no luck,

//VALID
CheckboxWrapper //VALID
: //VALID
WOGenericContainer //VALID
{ //VALID
// ** Because there's no elementName, this is an invisible wrapper element.
    elementID = wrapperElementID;
    name = context.elementID;
    formValues = selections;
    //VALID
} //VALID

I've also just discovered that bindings like

HTML: WOGenericContainer {
        elementName = "html";
        xml:lang = languageCode;
        xmlns = "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";;
}

No longer work in 3.5. They still parse fine in the WOD, but they're throwing exceptions in the app. Fortunately, reverting back to this still works for me