I have the same issue just different.

I use YUITextEditor for my text editing.  The copy and paste for Word is a HUGE
problem.  The latest YUI 2.8.1 code has a switch that will deal with weird
formatting and characters issue a little bit better.  But still not great.

Part of my research found a javascript thing that will try to clean the text
box, but I could not get that to work correctly.

Paul