I am building an ERRest application (read only), and am having a problem with
one field.  This field holds an xml string, which I need to embed into the
output from show and index actions; it will be consumed as json (mainly;
possibly only).

For example, I would like to receive:

{"name" : "A Record", "data" : { "fieldA" : "valueA", "fieldB" : "valueB" } }

where the data attribute comes from:

<SomeElement FieldA="valueA"><FieldB>valueB</FieldB></SomeElement>

Or something similar to that.  I can use net.sf.json to do the conversion
directly, which produces satisfactory strings, but that doesn't cope with the
XML output format case, and I can't figure out how to pass it into my JSON
output.  If I do that with a String field, then obviously it is output as a
string value, not as a JSON object, which isn't what I want.

In short, the XML is a moderately complex object, which I need to output as an
object in the JSON format.

All ideas appreciated.