On 10.09.2012, at 18:37, Pascal Robert <prob...@macti.ca> wrote:

> Ok, like we said here: Ça va faire le niaisage!
>
> So we need people who can:
>
> - Make something like Golipse that will install not only Eclipse (current
> stable version, so 3.7 or 3.8 for now), but also WOLips, Rule Modeler, useful
> plugins, Workspace Mechanics, the core WO frameworks (remember: we can't
> distribute the frameworks directly, we have to use a hack like
> WOInstaller.jar) and any current stable Wonder frameworks (fetched from
> jenkins.wocommunity.org). It HAVE to be in a "bundle type" folder, where a
> "WODev" folder would include everything, including the core WO frameworks.
> That means wolips.properties have to have references to the WODev folder or a
> sub-folder of it.
>
> So for example a WODev folder would have a structure like this:
>
>  WODev
>    Frameworks (will include both Wonder and WO)
>    Eclipse
>    Rule Modeler
>
> Bonus points if you can make it work on OS X, Windows and Linux (yes, I know,
> Rule Modeler can't run on Linux and Windows). Another bonus if it can detect
> that Java is not installed on OS X and ask to install it like other Java apps
> to.
>
> I'm willing to give $75 from my own pockets to get that. We can also decide
> to pull money from WOCommunity too...
>
> - Have a WOLips startup page with links to community resources. Many Eclipse
> plugins will show a "welcome" page after installation, with links to help,
> JavaDoc, etc.
>
> I'm willing to give $50 from my own pockets.
>
> - Find a way to bundle examples inside WOLips. Would be great to not only
> install the tools and frameworks but also examples that can be easily added
> into Eclipse. I saw such a thing from a Eclipse book so I know it's possible
> to do it.
>
> I'm willing to give $50 from my own pockets.

Pascal, I'd also give $75 for this.

What you ask for is exactly what I have suggested in my message of 17. July
titled "Installing tools and framework is a mess".

Here is my suggestion/idea/whatever again:

<quote>

I see a fully self-contained downloadable package similar to what Apple does
with Xcode that contains a fully loaded and configured Eclipse with all the
WOlips plugins installed. Create a directory inside Eclipse (maybe packaged as
a plugin?) that encapsulates the WonderSource and precompiled binaries (the
WOnder Frameworks). Let WOlips's default wolips.properties point to these
framework directories. Create a mechanism that upon each start of this Eclipse
executable it checks if the WebObjects frameworks are installed (I know we
cannot deliver those directly inside the Eclipse package but must load them
from an Apple server). The startup task could download WebObjects mimicking the
woinstaller.jar functionality. This functionality could also be made available
in the WOlips project properties and/or in the WOlips context menu for a manual
download (might not be needed). The download URL must point to a fixed location
on wocommunity or whatever and must be rerouted from there to the real Apple
server. This would prevent things from breaking when Apple eventually decides
to (re)move the WO downloads.

A user would probably not mind downloading a couple 100 MB and waiting an hour
for everything to settle but then everything "just works". And don't tell me
the Wonder Frameworks and WOlips will be outdated eventually. Yes, they will,
but the newbie user does not care. Nobody cares if the latest and greatest is
there when it does not work. Better get startet with something a couple months
old THAT WORKS! When packaging Wonder (and WebObjects) as a plugin we can
provide an update site and have to user at any time update his installation to
the latest and greatest and still have something THAT JUST WORKS!

As there is still a wolips.properties inside Eclipse package we can provide to
the experience used clear (not contradicting! ) instructions how to customize
the whole setup. All of this does not prevent the experienced user to play with
the wonder source and build his/her own frameworks. BUT STILL IT WORKS
INITIALLY OUT OF THE BOX!!

</quote>

---markus---