David,

Based on the documentation and the model, you should be able to subclass
ERAttachement entity to create a new storageType that can store image data on
another table or database. All meta data will remain on the same entity/table.
Nothing prevent you to duplicate image meta data on the data storage entity.

If you want to have more than one attachement base entity (split meta data
storage with multiple primary keys), I do not see an easy way. The request
handler will not be able to figure out the correct meta data entity, it will
need to be duplicated anyway, one per meta data storage.

Samuel

From the package.html file:
Custom Storage

ERAttachment is written with a modular design. If you want to provide your own
storage locations, you can:

Add a single-table inheritance ERAttachment subclass with a custom storageType.
Add a custom ERAttachmentProcessor subclass that can import into, and provide
URLs onto, the storage location.