Wonder has a few classes in it that replace eocontrol classes but this
class is unfortunately not one of them. My spider-sense is tingling and
telling me that there may be a static final ivar in that class that is
set to the maximum number of bytes allowed for the
hostIdentificationBytes value. It may be called ...
_HostIdentificationBytesLength, perhaps. It's just a guess.

And, you know, if one thought an IP address could be as many as 6 bytes,
this was the 1990's version of thinking ahead.

You could write the code that will, early in your app's life, grab
that static ivar via reflection and call the method that allows you to
set the value of the field to another number. There will be a whole
slew of exceptions to catch there. Look at the javadoc for
java.lang.reflect.Field and the stuff around there. This would be
easier than trying to replace the class right now.

Send a note if you need more specific pointers or if the suggestion
does not work.

cheers - ray