.. sadly, this is only a brief respite.  This file (org.objectstyle.
wolips.wodclipse.core.prefs) is recreated, with the same contents, and has
to be deleted each time before I launch Eclipse.  I can live with this if
my case is worth exploring for the true cause, or I can start over with a
new workspace.  If Dave/Hugi want to work with me on this, we can go
off-list for that, else I'll start afresh.

cat org.objectstyle.wolips.wodclipse.core.prefs

eclipse.preferences.version=1

org.objectstyle.wolips.componenteditor.sashWeights=1000