To be sure where the delay happens, I have tried to re-write the code [1] to

=== 1 ===
def me=new
EOKeyValueQualifier('user',EOQualifier.QualifierOperatorEqual,sess.currentUser)
def hasme=new ERXExistsQualifier(me,'userLinks')
def fs=new EOFetchSpecification('DBGenGeneratedItem',hasme,null)
NSLog.err.appendln "FETCH STARTS..."
all=session.defaultEditingContext().objectsWithFetchSpecification(fs)
NSLog.err.appendln "... FETCH DID END"
===

and still the delay (which looks like waiting for the beackground threads)
happens in betwixt "FETCH STARTS" and "=== Begin Internal Transaction".

Thus, it is self-evident it happens somewhere in objectsWithFetchSpecification,
if (and only if!) the qualifier contains ERXExistsQualifier.