Hi Lars,

That’s cool - I read through it quickly. You’ve spent a lot of time getting
this far. Perhaps you have the answer to this question clear in your mind but
it is not apparent to me…

“Why?”

Perhaps you like Swift so you wanted to see how much you could do… which is
cool. I mean that’s natural. You like Swift more than Java or Objective-C and
would prefer to program in Swift… If that’s the drive then ok.

Smalltalkers likewise go to great lengths to stay in Smalltalk. They even make
a javascript virtual-machine just to run Smalltalk on the web instead of
programming in pure javascript:
https://amber-lang.net <https://amber-lang.net/>

Angular has “TypeScript” instead of javascript because… they really want static
typing… it keeps them in their “safe space” - but it feels like a lot of work
for little gain… why not learn to embrace dynamic typing? I’d rather speak
Mandarin than pass it through google translate if you catch my drift.

I don’t really understand the allure of Swift other than it is what Apple is
currently pushing. I’m jaded…

I didn’t understand when WebObjects went from Obj-C to Java. Sure, at the time
Java was “hot” but it all felt very contrived. We still used NSArray, just a
java version of it. We didn’t use the Java collections. We got one “benefit” -
in that we could deploy in a WAR file and serve with JBOSS or WebSphere… if
that was someone’s checkbox to serve the app.

People lied to employers by saying “I’m developing in Java” which is
technically true but patently false. No Java developer feels at home in a
“Java” WebObjects app. But, again, it checked a box that said “must be Java.”

There is no knowledge which isn’t power. You’ve undoubtedly learned much by
making a template for building WO apps with the latest Xcode and Swift. So if
it makes you happy - keep at it :-) It’s cool but because I don’t understand
the “why” it’s ok… I’m an old fart.
AARON ROSENZWEIG / Chat 'n Bike <http://www.chatnbike.com/>
e:  aa...@chatnbike.com <mailto:aa...@chatnbike.com>  t:  (301) 956-2319