---------- Header Originale -----------

Da      : "Cor Nouws" oo...@nouenoff.nl
A          : website@libreoffice.org
Cc          :
Data      : Sun, 29 May 2011 22:36:48 +0200
Oggetto : Re: [libreoffice-website] [Proposal] A central employment-office-like
web structure for LibO volunteers

Hi Cor,

> With all this, I doubt if an extra layer, portal, that asks lots of
> energy to build and maintain, will add so much.
> For you and me and each of us, contributing in any area, it will
> probably haven been more or less the same: one looks around, lurks on
> the list for some time, until the feeling is there that it is time to
> stand up and start helping with testing, documentation, coding, ...

I think you've a "old school" view of reality, where potential contributors
come, spend X amount of time around and then decide what to do. I belong to the
same old school. ;-)

That's OK, but what if a sub-project needs help *now* and the request for help
is posted in this list while the volunteers that have will, time and skills to
perform such task, read the discuss and marketing lists only or visit the wiki
only or the TDF website only or the LibO website only? The task would be still
uncompleted and the volunteer still around to find what to do and, maybe,
he/she may get tired of searching.

This is fragmentation or "balkanization" and it grows as fast and large as
linguistic differences and difficulties rises.

A central and well advertised tool would lessen such fragmentation and increase
efficency in completing pending tasks, IMO.

However, by reading the devs list, I've understood that there's a strong
resistence among developers to create new "processes", though a part of them
thinks they may help.

I shouldn't insist in changing their minds and I surely won't insist, though I
think it's a mistake.

The next tests for this tool, that we'll do anyway, won't have a section for
developers, at least not like the original one. There are other ideas now,
among people who are working on this, and I think they may be useful.

Regards,

Gianluca
--
Lettura gratuita o acquisto di libri e racconti di fantascienza,
fantasy, horror, noir, narrativa fantastica e tradizionale: