Hi guys,

I am a member of the design team and have some suggestions regarding templates-test.libreoffice.org. I already posted them on the design mailing list and got some answers. I wondered whether it would be possible to filter templates/extensions based on the app they are intended for. Andres Mantke said this would be quite easy to implement, what do you think?

Kind regards

Alex

Original conversation:

Hi,

Am Sonntag, 18. September 2011, 13:47:57
schriebwebmas...@documentfoundation.org:

>  Hi,
> > I really like the idea to have a central repository for templates. However,
>  I think some aspects should be improved to be as good as the old
>  OpenOffice template center (http://templates.services.openoffice.org):
> > 1) The extension and template center should be one website, or at at least
>  the top bar should contain links to each site

that would be a goal for the future. Currently this is not posible, because of
the
search routine. I explained this some times ago on the website-list of
LibreOffice.

If both center are in one Plone instance, you will get a mixture of extensions
and
templates, if you search for "All categories". That would make the user
muddleheaded.

>  2) One should be able to upload a template without having to set up a
>  project

This is also an goal for the future and need some time. I and hopefully some
volunteers with deep Python knowledge had to create a new Plone product/egg for
this.
Here is one or more free positions, maybe for you;-)

>  3) Show less categories, have more sub-categories instead; At the moment
>  the number of options is a bit overwhelming

That's not posible with the current product. It needs some improvement to make
this
available.

>  4) Let the user filter templates based on the app it is intended for:
>  Writer, Impress etc.

That's easy to implement. Make a proposal onwebs...@global.libreoffice.org  and
let's
discuss there.

>  5) Replace 'Template
>  Templates extend your LibreOffice with additional functionality.
> > Currently there are 11 projects with 7 releases available.
>  Submit your Template'  with 'Submit you Template' in a bigger font size

I don't get, what you want to change here.

>  6) Maybe star ratings would be more appealing

No. The change from star rating to rating by "like / don't like" gives not so
much
options for manipulation and is much easier to handle for the user.

>  7) Try to copy the look of libreoffice.org as close as possible

I don't think that the design had to be one to one the same with
libreoffice.org.
There is currently a discussion about the main design on the design-list.

I had asked for proposals and feeback on the design- and the website-list
several
times with no or nearly no response. I got only the proposal for a logo of the
extensions- and template-site, that I reworked myself a bit, to adapt it on the
split
of both sites and make it more impressive.

>  8) Use this favicon:http://www.libreoffice.org/favicon.ico

I can't see that there is a wrong favicon. Maybe a reload of the site or a
clean out
of the cache will help.

>  9) Show the highest-rated and most-downloaded Templates on the homepage

Currently the highest rated are shown by default. The user can change this in
the
search bar.

>  10) The introduction should be as short as on libreofice.org

Hmm. There are some information because there is the need for some contributor
information. I asked for a volunteer on the marketing list, who wants to
improve the
English text (native speaker). Currently I'm missing feedback here.

>  I hope my criticism wasn't too harsh, thats just how I think the repo could
>  be improved.
No. I'm not a native English speaking person;-)

Regards,
Andreas
-- ## Developer LibreOffice ## Freie Office-Suite für Linux, Mac, Windows ## http://LibreOffice.org ## Support the Document Foundation (http://documentfoundation.org) ## Meine Seite: http://www.amantke.de Reply: Hi Andreas, thanks for the fast reply.

    4) Let the user filter templates based on the app it is intended for:
    Writer, Impress etc.

   That's easy to implement. Make a proposal onwebs...@global.libreoffice.org
and let's
   discuss there.

I'll do so.

    5) Replace 'Template
    Templates extend your LibreOffice with additional functionality.

    Currently there are 11 projects with 7 releases available.
    Submit your Template'  with 'Submit you Template' in a bigger font size

   I don't get, what you want to change here.

I think that its not necessary to have so much text. A big fat button would be showier.

    8) Use this favicon:http://www.libreoffice.org/favicon.ico

   I can't see that there is a wrong favicon. Maybe a reload of the site or a
clean out
   of the cache will help.

libreoffice.org now uses a more detailed, gray-scale favicon instead of the black/white one: Grayscale

    9) Show the highest-rated and most-downloaded Templates on the homepage

   Currently the highest rated are shown by default. The user can change this
in the
   search bar.

I meant that below the introductory text there should be two boxes like there:

http://templates.services.openoffice.org

Users then could immediately view the best templates, that might save some time.

Greetings

Alex