I am running a Debian variant and ran update-rc.d to create the proper
rcX.d entries for my run levels. These are symbolic links to the
symbolic link in /etc/init.d. The problem is that now the startup script
reports /etc/init.d as my $WORK_DIR

Good you found that problem, Seth.

You're right, the link should be followed recursively (or at least 2 steps should be resolved). The non-generic scrips use "readlink -f" for this purpose which does just that.

However, since readlink is not available everywhere as a command, I have used the Python readlink() function instead for the generic script (since we may safely assume Python is installed when starting Webware... ;-)) and somehow believed it would work recursively.

As an ad hox fix I suggest replacing

PY_CMD="import os;print os.readlink('$0')"

with something like this:

PY_CMD="import os;p='$0'
while os.path.islink(p):
    p=os.readlink(p)
print p"

I have not tested this, but if it works and nobody has a better idea, I will check that in for version 0.9.

Also, you said that you're using a Debian variant (Ubuntu?). Does the Debian start script not work for you? Where's the difference?

-- Christoph