I think the main problem is that you only measure the overhead Webware
surely has to create and provide all the various objects belonging to a
Webware transaction. The interesting thing would be to measure the
difference if you do some real stuff with your servlet. I guess this
overhead will soon become unmeasurable.

You should also optimize your Webware configuration, e.g.

in AppServer.config, set
Verbose: 0
MaxServerThreads:  100
AutoReload: 0

in Application.config, set
LogActivity: 0
CacheServletClasses: 1
CacheServletInstances: 1

Also, make sure the *.pyc are saved along with the *.py file or the
Appserver has the rights needed to save the *.pyc.

By the way, for a  Athlon XP2800+, your machine seems to be pretty slow. On
a Pentium 3 with 866 MHz and the same amount of RAM, I get a performance
about 20 times higher. Maybe because I'm using Linux instead of Windows XP.

Christoph