From: Matthew Rosenblum [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 9:50 PM
To: 'WEDI SNIP Privacy Workgroup List'; Darrell Rishel
Subject: RE: More questions on Business Associate

Darrell,

I respectfully disagree.

Under HIPAA, a BAC is NOT required between two or more health care providers
disclose PHI to each other for the purpose of treating a patient.  And while
the Privacy rules do say that a CE may act in the capacity of a BA (as in
the scenario that I described below related to a physician providing "peer
review" services), when two entities are engaged in sharing PHI (as CEs) no
BAC would be required.

I hope that this helps.

Your questions are always welcome.

Matt

Matthew Rosenblum

Chief Operations Officer

Privacy, Quality Management & Regulatory Affairs

http://www.CPIdirections.com <http://www.cpidirections.com/>

CPI Directions, Inc.

10 West 15th Street, Suite 1922

New York, NY 10011

(212) 675-6367

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This E-Mail is intended only for the use of the
that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. If you have received this communication in error, please do not
distribute it.  Please notify the sender by E-Mail at the address shown and
delete the original message. Thank you.

AVISO DEL CONFIDENCIALIDAD: Este email es solamente para el uso del
individuo o la entidad a la cual se dirige y puede contener información
privilegiada, confidencial y exenta de acceso bajo la ley aplicable. Si
usted ha recibido esta comunicación por error, por favor no lo distribuya.
Favor notificar al remitente del E-Mail a la dirección mostrada y elimine el
mensaje original. Gracias.