Jill/David,

While rarely doing so, I have to depart from David's perspective on this
one.  The ability of a CE to disclose PHI is not dependent on the
type/name of entity but on the purpose for which it is disclosed.

The reason a CE (provider or plan) would be allowed to disclose PHI to
workers compensation insurance would, in most cases, be either because:
a) they are seeking payment for services or reimbursement for services
already paid (e.g. COB).  The definition of payment under 164.501 and
the permissive disclosure provisions of 164.502/164.506 do not limit the
type of entity a CE could disclose information to for the purpose of
payment. In this circumstance no authorization or tracking of the
disclosure is required.  b) they may be complying with a request from a
workers compensation entity and may disclose information under
164.512(k) "as authorized by and to the extent necessary to comply with
laws relating to workers compensation...".  Here again, the entity to
whom the disclosure is being sent is not limited, but it must be related
to and authorized by workers compensation laws.  In this case
authorization is not required, but tracking the disclosure would be.

So, to answer the original question, a covered entity may share with
other insurance companies - like auto and life insurance if a) the
purpose for which they are sharing is a permissible disclosure (such as
TPO, or the public purposes listed in .512), or b) if the covered entity
obtains an authorization from the individual.  Depending on the purpose
of the disclosure, tracking for accounting or other obligations may
attach.  Note that there is also a special provision about conditioning
treatment/enrollment on an authorization (such as where a life insurance
company wants a physical exam first), and in this case the provider
could share the results of the physical exam, but they would have to
have the authorization that the life insurance company obtained first.
see 164.508(b).

Regards, lhc
Leah Hole-Curry, JD
FOX Systems, Inc.
602.708.1045
Information transmitted is confidential and may be proprietary to FOX
Systems, Inc.  It is intended only for the person or entity to which it
is addressed.   Anyone else is prohibited from disclosing, copying, or
disseminating the contents or attachments.  If you receive this in
error, please notify sender immediately, or us at www.foxsys.com and
delete from your system.
>>> "David Ermer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 01/14/03 09:28 AM >>>
Jill -- The covered entity's ability to disclose PHI to workers comp
programs is a mixed blessing because although an authorization is not
required, such disclosures are subject to the accounting for disclosures
requirement. In my opinion, covered entities may not disclose PHI to
other insurers that are not covered entities such as auto insurers or
life insurers without an authorization. On the bright side, authorized
disclosures are not subject to the accounting requirement. Best regards,
Dave Ermer

Gordon & Barnett
1133 21st St., NW, Suite 450
Washington, DC 20036
202-833-3400 ext 3009 (voice)
202-223-0120 (fax)
www.gordon-barnett.com

>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 01/14/03 11:54AM >>>
I understand that no authorization form is required for disclosures to

worker's compensation programs for payment purposes. Are auto carriers
and
disability insurers also included under the definition of "similar
programs
established by law that provide benefits for work-related injuries,
etc.?"

Also, how are providers handling disclosures to life ins. companies?

Thanks, as always, for your helpful suggestions!

Jill Rubin, Esq.,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---
The WEDI SNIP listserv to which you are subscribed is not moderated.
The discussions on this listserv therefore represent the views of the
individual participants, and do not necessarily represent the views of
the WEDI Board of Directors nor WEDI SNIP. If you wish to receive an
official opinion, post your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues Database at
http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/.   These listservs should not be used for
commercial marketing purposes or discussion of specific vendor products
and services.  They also are not intended to be used as a forum for
personal disagreements or unprofessional communication at any time.

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the
same as the address subscribed to the list, please use the

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as: archive@mail-archive.com
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the same as the
address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org