I am hopeful that by posting this information to the listserv's I can get
input from states about how they are approaching the "access, amendment and
accounting" requirements of the HIPAA Privacy rule through their business
associate contracts.

These are my questions:
1) Are any states delegating the responsibility to provide access, amendment
and or accountings through their business associate agreements?
2) If you are, what are the pros and cons that you identified regarding
doing this? For example: I know that if we delegate these functions, we may
lose control over these functions but on the other hand we often don't
maintain the designated record sets where this information is maintained,
our business associates do.

In some cases we have no control over information contained in our business
associates designated record sets. If we proceed with the language in the
contract that we are using (similar to the language in the template that HHS
gave us) we could potentially create a huge burden to overcome in order to
meet the obligations that we are laying out through the development of these
agreements. We are often not a point of contact for many of the providers
who receive services that we contract to various business associates. We
could potentially create an administrative burden for us to track requests
for access to designated record sets maintained by our business associates,
to make amendments to records we don't own, and to provide an accounting of
information our business associates hold on our behalf.

Any input that might help us make decisions regarding this, would be greatly
appreciated.

CMS has presented guidance that addresses this issue and they have
identified the fact that covered entities may want to consider imposing the
requirement to provide access and to make amendments on their business
associates especially if the information in need of access or amendment is
maintained by a business associate. The guidance further identifies the fact
that an accounting may be imposed on the BA by a covered entity.

Because each relationship with business associates will be unique and will
vary regarding a covered entities access to information maintained by the
business associates, I think we need to carefully consider how we develop
these agreements. I believe we need to be flexible in our language so that
we can dictate when we will provide access, make the requested and agreed to
amendments and when we will assume the responsibility to provide the
accounting and when we will require these things of our business associates.

The FAQ's from OCR dated December 3, 2002 on BA's has a question and answers
directly related to this issue, the last sentence for each answer addresses
the ability for covered entities to delegate these functions to our business
associates, it reads as follows:

"Q: Does the HIPAA Privacy Rule require a business associate to provide
individuals
with access to their protected health information or an accounting of
disclosures, or
an opportunity to amend protected health information?

A: The Privacy Rule regulates covered entities, not business associates. The
Rule requires
covered entities to include specific provisions in agreements with business
associates to
safeguard protected health information, and addresses how covered entities
may share this
information with business associates. Covered entities are responsible for
fulfilling
Privacy Rule requirements with respect to individual rights, including the
rights of access,
amendment, and accounting, as provided for by 45 CFR 164.524, 164.526, and
164.528.
With limited exceptions, a covered entity is required to provide an
individual access to
his or her protected health information in a designated record set. This
includes
information in a designated record set of a business associate, unless the
information held
by the business associate merely duplicates the information maintained by
the covered
entity. Therefore, the Rule requires covered entities to specify in the
business associate
contract that the business associate must make such protected health
information
available if and when needed by the covered entity to provide an individual
with access to
the information. However, the Privacy Rule does not prevent the parties from
agreeing
through the business associate contract that the business associate will
provide access to
individuals, as may be appropriate where the business associate is the only
holder of the
designated record set, or part thereof.

Under 45 CFR 164.526, a covered entity must amend protected health
information about
an individual in a designated record set, including any designated record
sets (or copies
thereof) held by a business associate. Therefore, the Rule requires covered
entities to
specify in the business associate contract that the business associate must
amend
protected health information in such records (or copies) when requested by
the covered
entity. The covered entity itself is responsible for addressing requests
from individuals
for amendment and coordinating such requests with its business associate.
However, the
Privacy Rule also does not prevent the parties from agreeing through the
contract that the
business associate will receive and address requests for amendment on behalf
of the
covered entity.

Under 45 CFR 164.528, the Privacy Rule requires a covered entity to provide
an
accounting of certain disclosures, including certain disclosures by its
business associate,
to the individual upon request. The business associate contract must provide
that the
business associate will make such information available to the covered
entity in order for
the covered entity to fulfill its obligation to the individual. As with
access and
amendment, the parties can agree through the business associate contract
that the business
associate will provide the accounting to individuals, as may be appropriate
given the
protected health information held by, and the functions of, the business
associate."

---
The WEDI SNIP listserv to which you are subscribed is not moderated. The discussions
on this listserv therefore represent the views of the individual participants, and do
not necessarily represent the views of the WEDI Board of Directors nor WEDI SNIP. If
you wish to receive an official opinion, post your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues
Database at http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/.   These listservs should not be used for
commercial marketing purposes or discussion of specific vendor products and services.
They also are not intended to be used as a forum for personal disagreements or
unprofessional communication at any time.

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as: archive@mail-archive.com
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the same as the
address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org