Tina,

I am glad to here that someone else is utilizing existing systems.  I also
have developed a database for tracking disclosures.  We, however have
identified areas that release info and those departments/areas will be
given access to enter the disclosure by patient into the database.

Thanks

Mary Duarte-Stucky
Regional Leader, HIPAA Privacy and Security Officer
E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: 865-545-8311
Fax:      865-545-7380

The information contained in this communication and any attached documents
is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated
recipient(s).  This message may be a confidential and privileged
communication.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient
(or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient), you are
hereby notified that any unauthorized distribution or copying of this
e-mail or the information contained in it is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by
replying to this message and deleting it from your computer.

                      "Lamb, Tina"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        To:       "WEDI SNIP Privacy Workgroup
List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                               cc:

                      01/28/2003 08:29         Subject:  RE: Accounting for
disclosures
                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      "Lamb, Tina"

We are an acute care facility that will be implementing both an automated
process & a manual process.  After completing an extensive analysis and
several brainstorming sessions, we found that a lot of what we are required
to track is already documented in the patient's medical record. Those items
that are not will be submitted from the individual disclosing the
information to a centralized location (contact person) where the disclosure
will be logged into an ACCESS database.

When the patient requests an accounting, the contact person will pull the
patient's chart to review for the disclosures that are documented & add to
the database.  In turn, the database will print the report to give to the
patient. The database will also track any suspension requests received from
law enforcement, etc. and all requests that have been received from the
patient.  I created this database for our organization and I know enough
about ACCESS to be dangerous (did not cost me thousands of dollars to
develop).

Employees who disclose patient information in error will have to complete
an
incident report that will also be provided for tracking purposes. Any other
disclosures made via telephone to public health, coroner, etc. will be
documented and emailed to the contact person to add to the tracking
database.

Will this work? I hope so! I have thought about every way possible.
Obtaining the majority of disclosures from the patient's chart will get
better compliance than to add another step for our clinical staff to handle
while they are trying to take care of our patients. Patient Care comes
first!

Hope this information has helped some of you... email me directly if you
would like additional information.

Tina C. Lamb
HIPAA and Corporate Compliance Coordinator
St. Francis Hospital, Inc.
706/596-4411 x 5657