WOW, I am sorry!!!  Yes, yes, you are totally right... the only point I was trying to
make is that under HIPAA a billing service is not always just a BA, they can be
considered a CE (i.e. clearinghouse).  Yes, they are a BA of the CE, i.e. the provider
they bill for. And, yes, a CE can be a BA of another CE.  I apologize for whipping
through my post without more thought or coffee.  I am embarrassed! Brenda

I have to disagree.  A billing company is a BA of any provider it provides
> billing services to, as long as that provider is a covered entity.  Whether
> or not the billing company themselves is a covered entity does not factor in
> to the evaluation of if the billing company is a BA.
>
> HHS has said several times you can be both a CE and BA.
>
> If you perform a covered function on behalf of a CE then you are a BA of that
> CE.
>
> If you yourself meet the criteria to be a CE, then you are a CE.
>
> If all I am is a BA, then all I have to worry about is having a BA agreement
> and actually that is not even my concern.  It is the CE's who are obligated
> under HIPAA to ensure the BAA is in place.  As a practical matter if the
> clients of my business are predominantly CE's (as would be the case if I
> owned a billing company that billed electronically) then as a convenience to
> my clients I might want to take the initiative in preparing a BAA for all my
> clients to sign.
>
> If I am a BA and a CE, then I have to comply with all of HIPAA because of my
> status as a CE (not because I am a BA).  Also note that as a CE, I now have
> an obligation to ensure I have BA agreements in place, but that obligation is
> only with respect to my BA's.  The clients of my billing company are not my
> BA's, they are my clients.  My BA's are only people who perform covered
> functions on my behalf.  My clients are not doing anything on behlaf of my
> billing company.  But I am billing payers on their behalf so I am their BA
> but they are not mine.
>
> Clear as mud?
>
> --
> Open WebMail Project (http://openwebmail.org)