Our medical office includes a dialysis unit.  These patients are treated for 4
hours/day, three times a week and they get to know each other quite well.  We publish
a Patient newsletter which includes tips on how to remain healthy but the newsletter
also contains information about the patients.  For example, it gives the birth date
(year excluded) of the patients so everyone can wish them a "Happy birthday" on the
right day.  Patients are asked whether they want to be excluded from this list.  We
also have a list of those patients who have achieved a certain level of phosphorus in
their blood, somewhat as a contest to promote compliance to the recommended treatment.
 If patients are given the option of opting out, can we continue this newsletter?  Can
we simply informally ask the patients about their willingness to participate or do we
need to get a specific authorization?
Thank you.
Rich Fairley, MD

---
The WEDI SNIP listserv to which you are subscribed is not moderated. The discussions
on this listserv therefore represent the views of the individual participants, and do
not necessarily represent the views of the WEDI Board of Directors nor WEDI SNIP. If
you wish to receive an official opinion, post your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues
Database at http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/.   These listservs should not be used for
commercial marketing purposes or discussion of specific vendor products and services.
They also are not intended to be used as a forum for personal disagreements or
unprofessional communication at any time.

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as: archive@mail-archive.com
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the same as the
address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org