Carolyn,
Jonathah's question was about the need for encryption on a dial-up line.  For detailed
discussions, he should see the Security listserv.

Generally, though, a direct dial-in connection to a receiver's system (not via the
Internet) would be considered an acceptable risk if you trust the receiver's privacy
practices.

If you're going via the Internet, the strongest encryption the government allows
(128-bit keys) may be adequate; weaker keys or no keys would be at high risk of
comprimising PHI.

The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily the opinion of LCMH.

Douglas M. Webb
Computer System Engineer
Little Company of Mary Hospital & Health Care Centers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"This electronic message may contain information that is confidential and/or legally
privileged. It is intended only for the use of the individual(s) and entity(s)  named
as recipients in the message. If you are not an intended recipient of the message,
please notify the sender immediately,  delete the material from any computer, do not
deliver, distribute, or copy this message, and do not disclose its contents or take
action in reliance on the information it contains. Thank you."