Jim,

The part of the rule you quoted comes from section 164.510(a) and concerns
disclosures for facility directories.

Look at section 164.510(b), specifically, sub-paragraph 164.510(b)(1)(i).  It
says you may disclose "the protected health information directly relevant to
such person's involvement with the individual's care or payment related to
the individual's health care".  So if John Smith's grandson is involved in
helping his grandfather take his meds, then I interpret the rule to say you
can tell the grandson what meds he is supposed to be taking.

While I'm at it though, I would like to correct an error I did make in my
previous response.  Dave Ermer correctly pointed out to me that the rule says
the individual only has to identify "other individuals" involved in their
care, and not family members.  In other words, according to the rule the
individual has to specify if their next door neighbor (who is not related to
them) is involved in their care, but they do not have to specify which family
members are involved.  The provider is authorized to make disclosures to ANY
family member that is involved in the individual's care.

Although I may have misrepresented what the rule says, as I wrote to Dave, I
stand by my earlier recommendation that you ask the individual to identify
which family members are involved in their care.  Even though it is not
required by the law I think it is prudent.  Keep in mind that these
disclosures to family members are specifically exempt from the requirement to
verify identity under section 164.514(h).  That means you are permitted to
disclose the relevant PHI to anyone who calls a doctor and CLAIMS to be a
family member involved in a patient's care.  Furthermore, I am not aware of a
definition in the rule for the term "family member".  Are cousins, uncles,
aunts, second cousins, in-laws, included?  I think there is too much
potential to make a disclosure that will wind up getting you in trouble.  As
long as you have to ask the individual if they agree or object to these types
of disclosures, you might as well ask them to identify exactly which family
members they want to include.

Thanks,

Noel