I would like to know how the privacy & security act under HIPAA will impact our
current systems today? I support POS card/swipe machines that dialup (via an
async/sync modem) over the public telephone system into a server that is
connected to a private network. These machines (terminals) are located through
out the USA in Provider offices, clinics and hospitals. The dialup protocol
(VISA) is the same protocol that the financial processors use today doing
credit/debit transactions. Are there any issues that I need to be concerned
about from the terminal point of view?

The second part of my question, I would like to know how the privacy & security
act under HIPAA will impact POS card/swipe machines that dialup (via an
async/sync modem) over the public telephone system into a ISP that is connected
to the Internet.  These machines (terminals) are located through out the USA in
Provider offices, clinics and hospitals. The dialup protocol will be either VISA
or PPP (Point-to Point). Are there any issues that I need to be concerned about
from the terminal point of view?

---
The WEDI SNIP listserv to which you are subscribed is not moderated. The discussions
on this listserv therefore represent the views of the individual participants, and do
not necessarily represent the views of the WEDI Board of Directors nor WEDI SNIP. If
you wish to receive an official opinion, post your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues
Database at http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/.   These listservs should not be used for
commercial marketing purposes or discussion of specific vendor products and services.
They also are not intended to be used as a forum for personal disagreements or
unprofessional communication at any time.

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the same as the
address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org