Life insurance does not fall under the HIPAA administrative
simplification standards. However, a life insurance company is licensed
to issue health insurance coverage, which is subject to those standards.
I am sure that the Guardian sent the NPP related to its health or dental
coverages, not its life coverages.

The written acknowledgment rule expressly applies only to direct
treating providers. See 45 C.F.R.  164.520.  This rule of course
substituted for the consent requirement under the original rule which
never applied to plans or clearinghouses.

Best regards, Dave Ermer

Gordon & Barnett
Attorneys at Law
1133 21st St., NW, Suite 450
Washington, DC 20036
202-833-3400 ext 3009 (voice)
202-223-0120 (fax)
www.gordon-barnett.com

>>> "Patricia Conroe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03/07/03 03:43PM >>>
Does the life insurance company fall under a health plan?  I believe
health plans do not need to get the acknowledgment signed, they just
need to show they mailed it to everyone.  Has anyone else heard that?

>>> "Traci Winter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03/07/03 02:19PM >>>
Interesting occurrence just took place..

I just received a NPP from Guardian Life Insurance Co. It was put in my
inter-office mailbox by our HR staff person. There is no acknowledgement
form for me to sign...... Do they think by having my employer distribute
them that they are not required to make a good faith effort to get an
acknowledgement signed? Just seems a little off to me. Does anyone else
find this a little lacking?

Traci Winter
Hospitals Home Health Care, Inc.
Fulton, NY

---
The WEDI SNIP listserv to which you are subscribed is not moderated.
The discussions on this listserv therefore represent the views of the
individual participants, and do not necessarily represent the views of
the WEDI Board of Directors nor WEDI SNIP. If you wish to receive an
official opinion, post your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues Database at
http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/.   These listservs should not be used for
commercial marketing purposes or discussion of specific vendor products
and services.  They also are not intended to be used as a forum for
personal disagreements or unprofessional communication at any time.

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the
same as the address subscribed to the list, please use the
[...]

address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org