Title: Message

All,

I am very interested in your educated opinions from your diverse positions in the healthcare field. I previously posted a question to the group to discuss what exactly are we hoping to achieve with certification efforts such as this.

In my 20 years in healthcare, I am unclear of the value (protection, insurance, calming effect) that “certification” supposedly offers. What I am certain of is these initiatives, if widely adopted out of fear, uncertainty or sheer opportunity, will serve to drive administrative costs higher and not have the intended consequences when we should be driving the cost of care DOWN.  The days where healthcare at any cost are long gone.

I can see a doctor’s office. They already pay for CLIA QC and inspection if necessary. Now they’ll be paying for a Privacy certification, then for a Security certification, while already paying for a Trans/Code Set certification. All of which do little to improve “quality” or even the perception of quality.  Many hospitals are cited for medical errors or violations of research protocols only to have performed well in a previous “certification inspection”. I’ve worked at a few that will remain nameless.

So…have at it! Where does this insanity end?

Christopher P. Brancato

Compliance Officer

Manager, Development/Product Management

Suite 3

503 Faulconer Drive

Charlottesville, VA 22903-4978

434-817-9000

800-800-4021 (toll free)

434-817-9006 (FAX)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.healthdataservices.com

The information contained in this message may be privileged and/or confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of the material.