If your law firm provides any services to any entity in healthcare, I
strongly suggest you start getting familiar with HIPAA...in a hurry. Legal
services is one of the types of messages specifically mentioned in the
section of the regulation addressing business associates. Whether a law firm
providing services to a health care entity is a Business Associate or that
health care entity will depend essentially on two things: (1) is the health
care entity a "covered entity" under HIPAA, and (2) does the law firm
receive protected health information in the course of performing those
services. If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then you need to
have a Business Associate Agreement with the health care entity.

Darrell Rishel, J.D.
Director of Information Services
Arapahoe House, Inc.

This message is not legal advice.