You are correct.  The rule requires accounting for all disclosures,
except those disclosures included in the exclusions list at 164.528.
Generally what is left after you exclude those, is "public purpose
disclosures" (generally the 164.512 disclosures) and disclosures made in
error.  This has been included in OCR's material for the National
Conferences and stated by OCR at several recent teleconferences.

regards, lhc
Leah Hole-Curry, JD
FOX Systems, Inc.
602.708.1045
Information transmitted is confidential and may be proprietary to FOX
Systems, Inc.  It is intended only for the person or entity to which it
is addressed.   Anyone else is prohibited from disclosing, copying, or
disseminating the contents or attachments.  If you receive this in
error, please notify sender immediately, or us at www.foxsys.com and
delete from your system.
>>> "rachelmcass" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 04/02/03 05:57 AM >>>
I attended education yesterday for nursing facility providers, in which
representative of the state's Department of Inspections and Appeals -
our
health oversight agency in Iowa for nursing facilities - stated that
facilities do not need to account for disclosures made to them during a
survey.  Among the reasons he seemed to be listing were: 1) they are not
covered entity, 2)they are not a business associate, and 3) we (the
facilities) are required by law to make those disclosures.

It is my understanding that we must account for *all* disclosures made
outside of treatment, payment, and healthcare operations, with the only
exceptions being those specifically listed in 164.528(a)(1).

The only thing I found anywhere in the rule that might indicate we would
not
account for disclosures made for health oversight purposes was
164.528(a)(2), which states:

(2)..

(i) The covered entity must temporarily suspend an individual's right to
receive an accounting of disclosures to a health oversight agency or law
enforcement official, as provided in § 164.512(d) or (f), respectively,
for
the time specified by such agency or official, if such agency or
official
provides the covered entity with a written statement that such an
accounting
to the individual would be reasonably likely to impede the agency's
activities and specifying the time for which such a suspension is
required.

(ii) If the agency or official statement in paragraph (a)(2)(i) of this
section is made orally, the covered entity must:

(A) Document the statement, including the identity of the agency or
official
making the statement;

(B) Temporarily suspend the individual's right to an accounting of
disclosures subject to the statement; and

(C) Limit the temporary suspension to no longer than 30 days from the
date
of the oral statement, unless a written statement pursuant to paragraph
(a)(2)(i) of this section is submitted during that time.

This does not say to me that a provider will not account for disclosures
health oversight agencies; in fact, I think it means quite the opposite.
Also, I think the fact that the DIA is not a covered entity is
irrelevant;
if the facility is covered, it must account, even when the disclosure is
required by law.

I would appreciate any input from the group, or if anyone knows of a
justification or regulatory reference that indicates a provider would
not
account for a disclosure made to a health oversight agency.

An afterthought question - would a facility also account for wrongful
disclosures of which it becomes aware (I'm not talking about incidental
disclosures, but violations, for instance, by workforce members)?

Thanks in advance!

Rachel

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail, including attachments, may be
confidential or
privileged communication intended for the exclusive use of the person or
entity to which it is addressed.  If the reader of this e-mail is not
the
intended recipient, the reader is hereby notified that any
dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you
think
that you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender by
reply e-mail of the error and then delete this e-mail immediately.

---
The WEDI SNIP listserv to which you are subscribed is not moderated. The
discussions on this listserv therefore represent the views of the
individual participants, and do not necessarily represent the views of
the WEDI Board of Directors nor WEDI SNIP. If you wish to receive an
official opinion, post your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues Database at
http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/.   These listservs should not be used for
commercial marketing purposes or discussion of specific vendor products
and services.  They also are not intended to be used as a forum for
personal disagreements or unprofessional communication at any time.

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the
same as the address subscribed to the list, please use the
[...]

address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org