Thank you all for your comments on my question about notice of access to info.  I wanted to sum up what everyone told me so I'm not missing anything before we undergo some changes.

My doctor clients want to provide notice to their patients that their transcription or coding through me was being done over seas.  I asked whether my doctor clients would be required by HIPAA to provide this notice or was it a question of preference.

A few of your responses noted the issue but abstained on the answer deferring to others for solid answers.  Almost everyone who did give me an answer said that:

Yes, my physician clients are required to give the patients notice that their medical records (transcription or for coding) are being processed by a company I use overseas.  Some even reiterated the point that overseas companies (regardless of having a US subsidiary) were not bound by US regulations and verification enforcement even with a US presence would be very difficult.

I appreciate your candidness and will be working with my clients on notification.  It looks though it might really be in my best interest to avoid the problem all together and do the work here in the US regardless of the price difference.

If their are any varying opinions please let me know.

Thank you all again.

Melissa
California
---
The WEDI SNIP listserv to which you are subscribed is not moderated. The discussions on this listserv therefore represent the views of the individual participants, and do not necessarily represent the views of the WEDI Board of Directors nor WEDI SNIP. If you wish to receive an official opinion, post your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues Database at http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/. These listservs should not be used for commercial marketing purposes or discussion of specific vendor products and services. They also are not intended to be used as a forum for personal disagreements or unprofessional communication at any time.

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]