Thanks!!  I think we need a good giggle for a Friday!!

>>> "Hromatka, Valerie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 04/04/03 10:52AM >>>
Jim:
We were doing as you are, but found triple locking the patient records
in an underground bomb-proof facility no fewer than 50 miles from a
paved road to be a bit troublesome. We resorted to implanting a small
chip in each patient and found that to work very well. However, several
patients complained that they were setting off car alarms as they walked
by, three found that garage doors were springing open in the
neighborhoods as they drove home, and five patients found that they
couldn't get out of their yards with invisible fences. Thus, we have
finally concluded that in order to be HIPAA compliant our best course of
action is to not provide anesthesia to any patients. David

David,
The Feds will waive the 50 mile rule if you place your PHI in resealable
55 gallon drums and sink them to the bottom of 40 pool while you are not
using them.  When you purge old PHI it must be sent to Yucca Mt.  The
down side is that members of your office staff must have their diving
certificates before the 14th.

Nick

Sheena, We are thumb printing all patients onto the anesthesia record
and
the billing sheet so that we can verify that the billing sheet
information
matches the anesthesia record for that patient. In pre-op or
Pre-Admission
Testing, the CRNA and / or MDA is taking a digital recording of each
patient's voice and encoding it onto a magnetic strip embedded into our
new
billing sheet. When our account representative calls the patient's home,

they ask for the patient by name and hit the F10 button on their
keyboard
and our billing software records and displays the patient's encoded
voice
(previously transferred from the billing sheet) and compares it to the
digital readout of the person the account representative is speaking to.

When there is a match, the software flashes "Match" three times. At this

point the account representative continues the conversation with the
patient. The billing software automatically comments that the
conversation
with the patient was digitally matched. Jim

Valerie Hromatka
System Administrator
Privacy Officer

Western Washington Medical Group
3207 Wetmore Ave
Everett, WA 98201
wwmedgroup.com
425-259-4041
425-252-6642

---
The WEDI SNIP listserv to which you are subscribed is not moderated. The discussions
on this listserv therefore represent the views of the individual participants, and do
not necessarily represent the views of the WEDI Board of Directors nor WEDI SNIP. If
you wish to receive an official opinion, post your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues
Database at http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/.   These listservs should not be used for
commercial marketing purposes or discussion of specific vendor products and services.
They also are not intended to be used as a forum for personal disagreements or
unprofessional communication at any time.

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the same as the
address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org

****** BKD, LLP Internet Email Confidentiality Footer ******
for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or
deliver this message to anyone.  In such case, you should destroy
this message, and notify us immediately.  If you or your employer does
not consent to Internet email messages of this kind, please advise us
immediately.  Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed in
this message are not given or endorsed by my firm or employer unless
otherwise indicated by an authorized representative independent of this
message.

---