From: rachelmcass [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 9:44 AM
To: WEDI SNIP Privacy Workgroup List
Subject: Unnecessary BAAs

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do when a Business Associate
Agreement has been signed unnecessarily?  For instance, a nursing facility
has signed a BAA with a durable medical equipment provider, naming the
nursing facility as the BA.  As both entities are considered health care
providers, and the nursing facility has been determined not to be providing
services to the durable medical equipment provider, it is not necessary for
the nursing facility to sign the BAA naming the facility as the BA.

The facility did this, and now has a contractual obligation to do a number
of things unnecessarily.  For instance, the terms of the agreement state
that the facility will notify the medical equipment provider within X number
of days of a breach of privacy, notify when accounting for an accountable
disclosure, etc.  This being the case, the agreement requires that the
facility do such things as notify the organization every time it has a state
inspection (which occurs no less than annually), because that is an
accountable disclosure.

This seems absolutely unnecessary; the facility does not provide any
services to the other entity.  If anything, it would be the other way
around.  What is the best way to terminate or modify these provisions?  Can
they just cancel the agreement, even though it has the termination
provisions required by the Privacy Rule (return or destruction of PHI, etc.)
What if the other entity is adverse to terminating or modifying the BAA?

Has anyone else encountered this?

On a completely unrelated note, I just had one of my previous health care
providers (who is a covered entity, I received a NPP from them) leave a
message on my answering machine informing me that their office is providing
services to someone else with my name.  They apparently haven't been
checking birth dates, or other information, and they think they may have
accidentally billed my insurance.  They want my help in investigating/fixing
this situation.  Seems to me that there may have been a way to approach this
without telling me that someone else named Rachel Cass is receiving services
from them; anyone agree?  (No, I really don't intend to contact OCR on this;
just think it is an interesting Privacy scenario).  It also make me wonder
if another Rachel Cass has been told that I have been treated by that
provider.

Thanks -

Rachel M. Cass
(319) 430-6591
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail, including attachments, may be confidential or
privileged communication intended for the exclusive use of the person or
entity to which it is addressed.  If the reader of this e-mail is not the
intended recipient, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you think
that you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender by
reply e-mail of the error and then delete this e-mail immediately.

---
The WEDI SNIP listserv to which you are subscribed is not moderated. The
discussions on this listserv therefore represent the views of the individual
participants, and do not necessarily represent the views of the WEDI Board
of Directors nor WEDI SNIP. If you wish to receive an official opinion, post
your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues Database at
http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/.   These listservs should not be used for
commercial marketing purposes or discussion of specific vendor products and
services.  They also are not intended to be used as a forum for personal
disagreements or unprofessional communication at any time.

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To
unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the same as
the address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe
[...]

address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org