All good points, and I'll keep those in mind as I flesh out my architecture.

But I sort of veered off topic. What are the thoughts on me adding an
aviation unit system? I see the benefits of a skin definition for reports
but, unless Unit Systems are generally being deprecated in favor of skin
definitions, then I also see the sense in a new Unit System. It might not
be the most interesting FR + submission for aviation purposes, but it
wouldn't be a bad start.

Also, is this the best place for future 'intent to implement' discussions?
I'm used to starting them as a github issue (which then allows the PR to be
linked to it, etc.)