Hey all!

For a christmas present I set up a weewx instance running on a rasberry pi
for my father-in-law. He is using a KlimaLogg Pro station for a while with
all 8 additional sensors in use.
Up until now he used a self-created excel sheet, where he imported the data
using the windows software of the KlimaLogg. In this excel sheet he
implemented a formula to calculate the Saturation Vapor Density and the
Actual Vapor Density (SVD & AVD) to get the actual amount of water in the
air (in g/m^3). With this information he decides wether he has to air his
rooms.

Now he really would like to have this information available somehow at the
HTML report page created by weewx. (I guess the dewpoint is probably
providing more or less the same information, but he seems to be quite proud
of his formula).

So I started to look into possible ways of doing this and would be
interested in more professional opinions.

First idea: I considered to just replace the formula to calculate the
heatindex in bin/weewx/wxformulas.py. This would probably be the easiest
way for me since he is not interested in the actual heat index and I would
only have to change 1-2 lines of python code (and some configs to re-label
the heatindex). But of course this could get complicated to maintain with
future upgrades of weewx itself.

Second idea: Making use of the user/ folder to place the custom functions
in there. But I am a bit of a loss here of how to actually hook it up
properly. My original plan was to extend the database by additional columns
similar to heatindex and dewpoint but it does not seem to be too trivial
nor do I really fully grasped how weewx works on the internal level to feel
confident about this change for now.

Third idea: I also read the "Defining new tags" section on the
customization guide which sounded promising by using the Cheetah template
enginge. I wouldn't have the data in the database but I wouldn't mind that
too much. The two examples listed in the guides were all about aggregating
existing information in a different way, so I am not exactly sure if I
could also use this approach to basically derive a new number for every
datapoint read out of the database?

Fourth idea: Instead of modifying the core files I considered extending the
klimalogg python module by basically extending the section where the
interaction for the dewpoint and heatindex calculations happen by a third
calculation. But again this might get complicated with future updates of
the klimalogg driver  and the klimalogg driver already seems to make heavy
use of re-labeling existing observables to support all 9 sensors for each
temperature and humidity and adding 9 more seems to be problematic at first
glance.

Fifth and final idea: It seems like I could also generate a PHP file
instead of a HTML file, so I could just do all my db calls and calculations
as some kind of post-processing happening after weewx and cheetah do their
work.

So what do the experts think?

eddy