I am not following you when you say "a new syslog message just 2 code lines
after the evaluated True messages." Does that mean you have something like
this:

            # Log it
            syslog.syslog(syslog.LOG_INFO, "alarm: Alarm expression \"%s\"
evaluated True at %s" % (self.expression, t_str))

            # Form the message text:
            msg_text = "Alarm expression \"%s\" evaluated True at
%s\nRecord:\n%s" % (self.expression, t_str, str(rec))
            # Convert to MIME:
            msg = MIMEText(msg_text)

            syslog.syslog(syslog.LOG_INFO, "New logging message")

            # Fill in MIME headers:
            msg['Subject'] = self.SUBJECT
            msg['From']    = self.FROM
            msg['To']      = ','.join(self.TO)

If so, and you got the expected email message, then I am totally mystified
as to why the other log messages did not appear.

-tk