Hi,

As long as whatever interface you have to the console uses a serial, USB or
IP link and passes through the commands listed in the Vantage Serial
Communication Reference Manual
<https://www.davisinstruments.com/support/weather/download/VantageSerialProtocolDocs_v261.pdf>

you should be fine with WeeWX and the standard WeeWX vantage driver. Keep
in mind that Davis made changes to its firmware a few years back (the so
called green dot firmware/logger - certainly happened since your linked
article was first written) that tightened up external access to the console
- refer to the last comment in your linked article.

As for alternative loggers, there are a couple available, a bit of googling
or searching WXForum.net <https://www.wxforum.net/index.php> should find
them. From memory I think there are a couple of makers of 3rd party USB
loggers and recently someone has developed a wifi interface (not sure this
one logs as the other loggers do).

Gary