Unfortunately, we inherited the database schema from wview, the predecessor
to WeeWX.

Nevertheless, many years ago, I explored using a "sixth normal form"
database with WeeWX. The biggest difference from the present schema is that
there was a separate column for the observation type, allowing new types to
be introduced on the fly. I'm no db expert, and maybe I didn't get the
indexes right, but it was frightfully slow.

If I were to start from scratch, I would use InfluxDB, although it is still
missing a few key features, most notably the ability to do queries in *local
time*.

-tk